Jeff Sebert // Founder & President
Jeff Sebert is president and founder of Bluestem Ecological Services, a sustainable company that builds, restores and maintains native ecosystems. Jeff believes that native restoration and native landscaping are viable, proven approaches that promote healthier settings for nature, people and entire communities. He is passionate about bringing environmentally beneficial and economically responsible solutions to clients in greater Chicagoland area. Bluestem is a partner company of Sebert Landscaping, a top 100 commercial landscape firm in the U.S. that Sebert established in 1985. Sebert Landscaping is a product of Jeff’s hard work and sustainable vision. Bluestem takes his ecological interests to the next level.
Jeff is inspired by nature and called to restore ecological balance and deliver a triple benefit of environmental responsibility, economic value and healthy space to clients. That’s what Bluestem Ecological Services accomplishes with respect to nature and the people who live, work and play on the land.
- Graduate from University of Minnesota with a degree in Environmental Science, specializing in Ecology. (December 2015)
- Semester abroad in New Zealand (Spring of 2015)
- Studied Ecology and Resource Management
- Learned about New Zealand’s techniques of Ecological Management that can be applied
- 5 years of landscaping and nursery experience working for both Grace Nursery and Sebert Landscaping
- Tree/Shrub care and Landscape operations
- Equipment knowledge (Tractors, Mowers, Small equipment)
- Internship at FermiLab in Batavia, IL doing ecological restoration work under their head ecologist
- - Plant I.D
- - Invasive Management
- - Plant/Animal Surveys and FQA
- S130/S190 - Burn Training
- Pesticide Operator License
- Aquatic Pesticide Applicator
Jan Papa // General Manager
Jan has 30 years’ experience in the green industry working for the Chicago Botanic Gardens, Estate Co-Manager and landscape operations as plant buyer purchasing native plants for large Chicago projects. Jan has experience working with General Contractors as well as Landscape Architects.
She has worked on native restoration projects with the Nature Conservancy for 10 years and is an active volunteer for restoration projects for the Ancient Oaks Foundation, Citizens for Conservation as well as served on the Lake Zurich Park Board. Jan has her Illinois Applicator Pesticide License and Chicago Wilderness Burn Training. Jan has a passion and understanding for sustainable landscapes using native plants and for our Midwest native landscapes.
She has 16 years working in the landscape industry, and worked on projects with native elements such as 31st Street Harbor (Chicago Park District), Tetra Pak (woodland restoration), Makray Memorial Golf Club (prairie and wetland installation) and Navistar (detention wetland installation).
- 8 years working for Chicago Botanic Gardens
- 24 years as Co- Estate Manager
- 3 years on Lake Zurich Park District Board
- 10 years as Site Steward for the Field Prairie Grove Restoration – 30 Acre Nature Conservancy site (Woodland, Savanna and Prairie).
Deidre Joynt // Client Relations
Deidre has 20 years of experience, in client relations, within the green industry. She manages our inside sales, identifying the needs of our clients and providing them with exemplary customer service. Her extensive knowledge and expertise provides our team with a wealth of support and commitment that allows us to exceed the expectations of each of our clients.